to alexander: i'm attending Management Engineering at LIUC University, sited in Castellanza (VA). i'm about at 10 km from the school, so i preferred this instead of Politecnico di Milano. Anyway about 80% of my teachers are from Politecnico di Milano.
I don't see why we couldn't have a branch for it. Nobody else who has wanted to add support has really gotten anywhere (as far as I know). But if you think you can do it, just pop onto the IRC channel and poke either yuriks or me.
Ok , great! I finally got back from the winter school I was attending and , thanks to tisselian I have a patch for SVN 865 which enables opentyrian to correctly parse the menus from T2k. I am currently on the IRC channel , ready to upload to a new svn branch
Bugs were cause by the two datasets having an incompatible format. So tyrian would just read random data from them. This commonly manifested itself as you having a weapon that would make a yellow sphere orbit your ship, or all sorts of weird stuff. Also, an "Episode ?: Bonus" appears on the episode select screen. While that may look intentional, it's actually a bug, Bonus just happens to come after the episode names on the strings list.
The bug on the menus is triggered by a couple of misalignments in the data files, mainly due to the addition of some new text lines here and there. I was wondering which exact cocktail of files was using Grezzo16 in order to achieve a correct run of the program. A couple of files are exactly the same (f.i. level3.dat) so basically swapping them has no effect, while it would be interesting if swapping non bitwise identical files resulted in something new for me (i.e. something working straight instead of misaligning textures and so on).
@ alexander i'll try to explain what i've made using my poor english, let's go
1: I've downloaded Tyrian 2.1 data: most of the files were dated 2007 2: I've downloaded Tyrian2000 data from (http://www.freewebs.com/worldtreegames/): most of the files were dated 1999 3: I've extracted both Zips in separate folders 4: i've copied TYRIAN2000 data INTO tyrian2.1 data, keeping the most updated files: most of the files were from tyrian2.1 (dated 2007) but there are about 10 files more updated in tyrian2000 (dated 1999 ).
in 2 words: my method was "keep the newer, kick the oldest"
about the images, i jut discovered the site, but i never used those images.
Ok , there are a couple of issues : - the datafiles which date to 2007 have obviously a wrong creation date - since you trusted those dates, you ended up not replacing a good deal of the files which , if you correctly looked at the binary differences, would appear as updated.
basically , it's very likely that you just ended up with a version of the datafiles which has all the required files for Tyrian2.1 exactly extracted from the 2.1 datafiles and only a bunch of extra ones which are never read taken from T2k.
This obviously explains how you managed to get the whole thing running....
I am operating by fixing issues in loading the various files from tyrian2000 which appear to be different in size but , after a bit of tinkering , pretty much the same as far as the internal format goes